FAQ's - We Make Shore

    Online Quote Form

    Thank you for requesting a quotation for professional services from Shore, we will endeavour to respond to your enquiry within 2 working days or sooner. For us to provide an accurate quotation tailored to your needs, it is important that you provide us with as much information as possible regarding the scope of your project. Please complete the quote request below, if you have any questions please contact us.

    By completing and submitting this form you agree to our terms and conditions.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Share our Inpsirational projects


    • Who is responsible for obtaining Building Control approval?

      The owner of the property/land.

      Shore, as an Approved Inspector, can provide advice to help ensure that your proposed plans meet the requirements of building regulations and planning.

    • What is the difference between Planning Permission and Building Control?

      Planning Permission is an application process via your local authority, to gain approval of proposals to carry out work such as a new development (i.e. building a new home or superstore) or extensions to existing buildings. Proposals will either be refused or approved; in some cases, approval may be subject to conditions being imposed by the local authority.

      It seeks to guide the way our towns, cities and countryside develop. This includes the use of land & buildings, the appearance of buildings, landscaping considerations, highway access and the impact that the development will have on the general environment.

      Building Control seeks to ensure that Building Regulations are complied with. These regulations set out standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the health and safety of people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

      For many types of building work, such as new housing, permission under both, separate processes will be required. However, for other building work such as internal alterations, you may only need Building Control Approval and not Planning Permission.

      If you’re unsure contact your local planning authority or a building control body for advice.

    • When is Building Control Approval required and what happens if I don’t obtain it?

      Building Control Approval is required for:

      • The construction of a new building
      • An extension to an existing building
      • Loft conversions (i.e. converting your roof space to a room such as a bedroom)
      • Any structural alterations to an existing building
      • The change of use of an existing building (i.e. converting a single house into flats)
      • Any new drainage or altering existing drainage facilities
      • Recovering a roof structure, flat or pitched
      • Electrical work
        Replacing windows

      Building Control Approval ensures that the work carried out meets the Building Regulations and other requirements. Failure to comply with these requirements could result in legal actions, delays and increased costs as the owner would be liable for any remedial action, which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration.

      If work has been carried out without Building Control, then you will need to contact your Local Authority for a Regularisation Application.

      A Regularisation Application is used by Local Authorities when no application was made prior to works commencing. The Local Authority may require certain parts of the work to be exposed or ask for further information e.g. structural calculations, in order to determine compliance with the Regulations. If the Local Authority is satisfied that the work complies, a Regularisation Certificate is issued.

      Please note: Shore is unable to provide any support with Regularisation Applications.

    • Can you tell me about payments and the fees?

      Fees and payment schedules vary according to the type of work undertaken and are subject to VAT.

      For a no obligation quote, and information regarding payment schedules, please contact us.

      You can make payments in one of the following ways:

    • Do my neighbours have the right to object to what is proposed in my Building Control application?

      Under the Building Regulations you do not have any obligation to consult neighbours, although it is courteous to do so.

      However, if you are undertaking work that falls under the requirements of the Party Wall Act 1996 then you must notify neighbours in accordance with that Act. For further information please contact us.

    • How can I get a copy of the completion certificate?

      We can provide copies of any completion certificates that Shore have issued. 

      All requests must be made in writing to Shore Engineering Ltd, The Mill, Station Road, Ardleigh, Colchester, Essex, CO7 7RS or by email to info@wemakeshore.co.uk

      Copies of certificates must be paid for in advance. 

    • Can I draw my own plans?

      Yes, however, you will need to know about the current Building Regulations and be able to create technical drawings otherwise it is advisable to get an architect or Chartered Building Surveyor to draw them for you. A Chartered Structural Engineer can produce calculations for you.

    • How do I book/arrange an inspection?

      You can arrange an inspection by phoning us – either directly contacting your surveyor or on 01206 230280.

      To book your inspection we require the following information:

      • The address of the property
      • What is to be inspected
      • Your name and contact details
      • Job reference number (if applicable)
    • What is the difference between a FENSA certificate and a Building Regulations Final certificate?

      Since April 2002, it has been mandatory for homes with replacement glazing in the UK to comply with Building Regulations. Anyone who installs replacement windows or doors must certify compliance with these regulations.

      When having windows and doors replaced you should ensure you obtain either a certificate from the FENSA registered installer or a Building Regulations Final Certificate. There is no difference when it comes to proving compliance when you come to move to a new house. The principles of self-certification are based on giving installers the ability to self-certify that their work complies with Building Regulations without the need to submit a Building Regulations application.

      There is no need to obtain a FENSA certificate for windows installed as part of an extension or loft conversion covered by a Building Regulations application.

    • How do I make a complaint?

      We greatly value feedback from our customers and are fully committed to providing high quality services and continuously improving our standards.

      If we have failed to meet your expectations in any way then please don’t hesitate to contact us.

    • Who certifies Approved Inspectors?

      Construction Industry Council Approved Inspectors Registers (CICAIR), on behalf of the Government. Shore are certified by CICAIR, and are required (as are all Approved Inspectors) to reapply for our licence every 5 years, at which time our competence is re-assessed. CICAIR sets out a minimum standard of competence and Code of Conduct which we must adhere too.

    • Is Shore Building Control an enforcement agency?

      No, only local authorities have enforcement powers with regards to Building Control. However, Shore is authorised by the Government to carry out Building Control functions and provide advice to help you meet legal and other requirements.

    • Do I need a Construction Phase Plan (CPP)?

      Yes, under the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015 (CDM) every construction project needs a CPP, which should be written and implemented to manage health and safety before the start of your project. 

      For further information on CDM and how Shore can help you with your project or CPP visit our health and safety webpage. Alternatively please do not hesitate to contact us.

    • Do I need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) of my construction project?

      Under the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015 (CDM) if the project will last longer than 30 working days (if 20 people or more will be working at the same time) then an F10 Notification of Construction Project form will need to be completed and submitted to the HSE prior to work commencing.

    • What does CDM stand for?

      The Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015.

    • Does CDM apply to all projects?

      Yes. CDM applies to all construction projects within the UK.

      Regulation2 Interpretation:

      “construction work” means the carrying out of any building, civil engineering or engineering construction work and includes:

      (a) the construction, alteration, conversion, fitting out, commissioning, renovation, repair, upkeep, redecoration or other maintenance (including cleaning which involves the use of water or an abrasive at high pressure, or the use of corrosive or toxic substances), de-commissioning, demolition or dismantling of a structure

      (b) the preparation for an intended structure, including site clearance, exploration, investigation (but not site survey) and excavation (but not pre-construction archaeological investigations), and the clearance or preparation of the site or structure for use or occupation at its conclusion

      (c) the assembly on site of prefabricated elements to form a structure or the disassembly on site of the prefabricated elements which, immediately before such disassembly, formed a structure

      (d) the removal of a structure, or of any product or waste resulting from demolition or dismantling of a structure, or from disassembly of prefabricated elements which immediately before such disassembly formed such a structure

      (e) the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair or removal of mechanical, electrical, gas, compressed air, hydraulic, telecommunications, computer or similar services which are normally fixed within or to a structure, but does not include the exploration for, or extraction of, mineral resources, or preparatory activities carried out at a place where such exploration or extraction is carried out

    • What is the F10 for and when does it need to be submitted?

      The F10 (Form 10) is a notification process whereby the HSE are notified of planned construction activities and sets out key information such as description and address for the works, key persons involved, programme and other project specific information.

      Any F10 Notification only needs to be submitted to the HSE if construction works is scheduled to:

      • last longer than 30 working days and have more than 20 workers working simultaneously at any point in the project, or
      • exceed 500-person days.

      The preference is for the HSE F10 to be submitted via their website portal, albeit they can be manually completed and sent to the HSE for scanning and registering.

    • How can I check if someone is competent?

      Competence is defined by the HSE as “…someone who has the necessary skills, experience and knowledge to manage health and safety.”

      You can check that a consultant or contractor or any other third party is competent, by asking for copies of the company and staff qualifications, any H&S memberships, a copy of their H&S policy as well as information on their accident or incident statistics for the previous periods.

      Whilst the change from the former 2007 CDM regulations removed the explicit competence requirements for somebody to check, there is an absolute duty for the relevant duty holder themselves to ensure they are competent to fulfil their appointed role.

    • What are the principals of prevention?

      CDM2015 requires designers, principal designers, principal contractors and contractors to take account of the ‘principles of prevention’ in carrying out their duties. The principles of prevention are specified in Appendix 1 of L153 Managing Health & Safety In Construction.

      Schedule 1 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 apply to all industries, including construction. They provide a framework to identify and implement measures to control risks and in general terms are:

      (a) Avoid risks where possible
      (b) Evaluate those risks that cannot be avoided
      (c) Put in place measures that control them at source
      (d) Adapt the work to the individual, especially regarding the design of workplaces, the choice of work equipment and the choice of working and production methods, with a view to alleviating monotonous work, work at a predetermined work rate and to reducing their effect on health
      (e) Adapt to technical progress
      (f) Replace the dangerous by the non-dangerous or the less dangerous
      (g) Develop a coherent overall prevention policy which covers technology, organisation of work, working conditions, social relationships and the influence of factors relating to the working environment
      (h) Give collective protective measures priority over individual protective measures
      (i) Give appropriate instructions to employees

    • Do I need to appoint a Principal Designer?

      A Principal Designer only needs to be appointed where there are or likely to be more than 1 designer or 1 contractor appointed on a project.

      The Principal Designers role is to plan, manage and monitor the pre-construction phase, and to coordinate health & safety.

      If a client does not formally appoint a Principal Designer in writing, by default under the regulations, they shall be legally responsible for the provision of the Principal Designer duties & obligations.

    • How can Shore help me on my project?

      Shore has vast experience in providing CDM and H&S support to projects and clients and has been involved in excess of 1000 successful projects since formation of the practice.

      We can offer a variety of CDM and H&S consultancy services to a project, including:

      • CDM Advisor to Principal Designer
      • Principal Designer
      • Client CDM Advisor
      • Health & Safety Advisor

      We aim to offer a flexible collaborative approach to projects, working with clients and professional teams to seek practical solutions to problems whilst maintaining compliance with the statutory requirements.